Friday, March 4, 2011

Working hard in water

Today's swim workout was the hardest one I have had so far. And I am going to share it with you so you have an idea what I have to withstand :)
Fortunately I had no run or bike today so I went into it completely fresh.

I swam 3000yards, which is pretty long for me. Although for real swimmers that would be maybe their warm up distance:(
600yards warm up - swimming warm up is nothing like easy running warm up. It included drills and while I was doing 4x25 sculling I thought that my forearms were going to fall off!
4x50 all out with 20sec rest. It was hard, and I only managed to push 44ish on these:(
1 min break
4x300 holding 1:40pace so each 300 in 5 min. This was not hard hard but it was looooong and I was so tired that I hardly had any energy/strength to push off the walls. I did 4:59, 4:54, 4:55, 4:57 ish, of course it is not 100% accurate. But I took very generous rest 1min after each because I knew I would not make it with less rest.
4 min break because I had to make a pitstop
10x50 in less than 45 sec @ 1:15- considering that I did 44 on my all out 50s before I knew this was going to be hard, but I made it and even did negative splits! I started at 44 and slowly made made way down to 41 on the 9th one, the last one was around 44 again. 30sec is enough rest and it was not as hard as I thought it would be. I just told to myself that it was similar to 200m on track ( not that I would be proud of 40s for 200m but effort on these is similar), just keep pushing hard for those 45sec.
500 cool down with paddles - here I thought that my arms were really going to fall off. But paddles are good, they will give me arms like Michelle has:)

I am very pleased with this workout! Especially those 300s and final 50s. Maybe my swimming is starting to come along!!!!!

I think that I was not warmed up enough for those first 50s since I was not able to do them faster. It is just like with my running, I need pretty long warm up to get ready. Something to think about for the future.

1 comment: