Monday, August 8, 2011

Yep, still my favorite

I have always been saying that mile repeats with 1min rest is my favorite workout. Because it is easy. 10k effort is nice and controlled.

However when I saw that I should do them at 6:11-6:16 pace today, I was not sure whether it will continue being my favorite:) I ran my fastest 5k in last 6 years last October in 6:07 pace. I was supposed to do only 4 repeats, not 5 as usual because we are still keeping my mileage in check, but at that pace it seemed like plenty.
I actually emailed PPC asking when 6:11-6:16 became my 10k pace:)

But I was eager to see how it goes. 2k w/up, 4x1600, 1.2k c/d, total 6miles!!!
And it went well. Still pretty easy and controlled and still my favorite workout.
6:16, 6:14, 6:11, 6:07. I was going for negative split as usual and as usual I freaked out that I won't split negatively in the last one and I ended up running it faster than usual. I was still apprehensive after the first one but during the second one I knew I will be ok because I felt better and better with each lap.
It was probably little bit harder than last year when I did then at 6:20+. I did this workout on Dec 5th the last time and my splits were 6:28, 6:26, 6:26, 6:21, 6:20 but that was really easy, like jogging. Today did not feel like jogging but still felt very good.
So I am pretty satisfied. If I continue like this I will have awesome 5k/10k races this fall!
Of course, I will be a real fast runner only if I can do 6 of them at sub-6min pace as PPC can. So still a lot of work to do!

I am also satisfied because my legs have been constantly tired in past week. All the biking and running is catching up with my legs. I could feel every single little uphill in my quads on my way to work every morning in last week but they usually loosened up while I was at work and I was able to nail runs and bike. The same today, although I still felt little tired in the afternoon. But I nailed it even with tired legs, which adds to my confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment