Sunday, March 28, 2010

Looking like a soccer weirdo

Because of my recent problems with tight calves I decided to try to wear over-the-calf compression socks. I got them last week for 15Euros so I assume that they are not the hard core $60+ compression socks that Paula Radcliff would wear. But if nothing else, they will keep my calves warm and hopefully prevent tightening.

I do not have a full length mirror so you have to imagine me putting these two pictures together:





And these are my new running beauties:)


Those socks are really tight fit around my calves which makes it difficult to actually put them on. It took a few minutes laying on my bed in different weird positions and breaking a sweat before I got them on. But it seems it was worth it. No tight calves today! Really, it is not just psychological, I swear. But I do not know whether it was socks working magic or just my calves have finally stopped protesting that I run again. I shall see tomorrow whet I run with regular ankle socks.

I did my long run today. Wanted to do 15k exploring the other side of a highway. I went there on bike already and I knew that there is a nice loop I could do. But at 6k into my run I saw a huge dog several ten meters ahead and no other person in sign. I am very scared of dogs (but less than of parrots) therefore I turned around. From there I had to improvise and I think I did a pretty good job because I "created" a different pretty nice loop. The only downside(or upside, don't know) is that I ended up doing 17k. At 5:06 average pace. Not bad, I felt really good (maybe because of those compression socks:)) I picked it up a little at the end therefore 5:06 pace, because it was raining slightly and I was getting hungry. Europe changed to summer time this past night and there was no way I was getting up one hour earlier to get breakfast. So I missed it and ate only 2 kiwis before heading out.

When I got back to my room, I did couple stretches and when I was taking shower I realized that I forget to do pick-ups during my run as part of my resolutions to get more speedy. Crap! Next time (if I remember).

I start Push Ups Challenge again tomorrow and am dreading it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I have been meaning to try compression socks forever not for any specific issue (like tight calfs) just out of curiosity. Would you recommend them for just general running use or are they intended to help deal with particular sorenesses? And where did you buy them? Internet or an actual store?
    Thanks!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete