Saturday, September 25, 2010

Masters swim class

Firstly, let me tell you, I loved it!!! (I also got sunburnt and my shoulders are little sore, but loved it!)

Since I can run only 4-5 days a week and my mileage is low I am SOOOOO bored (I know I should rather find a job than going running, swimming and other fun stuff), plus I need to get more aerobic training.

I can bike of course, but I am not sure whether I will be able to enjoy it in LA area.
I actually biked yesterday, but only in the neighborhood trying to find some hilly routes in case I want to do hills on bike. I found some hills but they are pretty short but steep. Plus I am little worried that my poor bike is going to fall apart if I keep pushing it. You know, what can I expect from $150 Walmart bike? Yeah yeah, I do my 60+ mile bike rides on a Walmart bike in running shorts and sneakers. Whatever! And it needs to last me until the end of this semester so I can get to classes.

Anyway, so I decided to check out this Masters swim class this morning. We actually have it every day at different times so one has many options to choose from. You have to pay but I was told I can drop by to one session to see whether I like it. And I loved it.
Ok, I had no idea what I was doing because I have no idea about paces and stuff, so I just did whatever felt easy, hard, harder. I joined one of the slowest lanes since I was not even sure whether I will not drown in the middle of the session. But I did not and I was actually surprised by myself. Our coach is US Champion and Olympian so she probably knows what she is doing. The only problem is that since there are quite a lot of people (faster people) I cannot really get a proper feedback on my form. But I assume that if I did something really really awkward, she would tell me. She for example told me that when I breath I tend to push my arm down too soon and that I should try to glide on my shoulder. I tried, almost drowned but eventually got it.
Plus there was only one other girl in my lane and she did not do flip turns so I did not feel any pressure to try them. Maybe next time when I am more advanced:)

That being said, I think I will sign up for this and can do it for example twice a week. I am little hesitant because it is around $150 for this semester and that's pretty expensive for me (I just went to buy school books and course packets and realized that if I was to buy all of the required things I would need more than $1000! WTH! I would rather have Cs from all of my classes than paying $1000+ for books. I need to figure this out...) and I can do all that stuff by myself in pool. But then I am thinking that although there are other people I can get some advice on my form from coach and I can be with people. So I think I am going to join.

Now I am going to watch some videos and real articles about proper swimming form.

1 comment: