Sunday, September 19, 2010

Call that supportive family

Today morning after my run I skyped with my mom and grandmom and I made a rookie mistake.

I said something like this:
"I saw the area but I was not too far because I had only a very short run planned for today."

My mom's alarm controls immediately went off.
She: "What do you mean by planned? You have a training plan?"
Me: "Hmmmmmm, yes."
She: "You prepared it?"
Me: "Hmmmmmm, no. I have a coach."
She: "Coach?!? When and where did you get a coach?"
Me: "Hmmmmm."
She: "Why do you need a coach?"
Me: (What was I supposed to tell her? That I love running and want to see how fast I can run and I need a coach to help me with that because I do not have enough experience? She already knows that but she probably thinks that if she pretends not knowing that it will somehow change things.) "Because I am too lazy and do not want to think about what I should run."
She: "And what about your.....(insert every possible part of a human body, for example heart, knees, spine, brain, teeth). It is sooo very bad for you. I do not understand why you torture your (again insert few parts of human body) like that." And she would have gone on and on and I am sure she would have tried to make me promise that I will never ever run a marathon (too late, but she does not know) if my grandmom had not stopped her by asking whether I run on roads or grass. I told her I do not run on roads and then smoothly changed the subject to weather.

And that's why I do not talk with my family about running. (I only talk about running with my sister who is however completely indifferent to that. But she still thinks that it was awesome that I ran a marathon and she told all her volleyball buddies that I was able to run 26 consecutive miles at faster pace than they ran their 1 mile fitness test at the beginning of the season). Sometimes I wish I could talk to them about it though. So it is nice to have at least this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment