Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Bad Monika, bad or How you feel before has nothing to do with how you do (or something like that)

(Aparently I was complaining about being bored too much, thinking about joining swimmimg club, doing 70milers on bike and other fun stuff, so my coach increased my mileage. Let's see whether it works the opposite way as well. I am sooo busy, I do not have time for anything fun, I do not have a social life.)


Anyway, track workout today. Yesterday was the hottest day in LA since 1877 or something like that. It was over 40 degrees out (Celsius) and it was still 30 in my room at 9pm....So yesterday was my day off:)

I hoped to feel fresh and rested for today. But as I warmed up and started to do my 4k sub-tempo I started to compose a blog in my head, which for the most part was about excuses why today's workout sucks. I really struggled first 1k, I did it in 4:27ish although I was going for 4:20 pace. Bummer. I eventually picked up the pace and did those 4k in 17:28, which is 4:22 pace. But it felt kinda hard.

I was like, oh man, this workout will suck and I will die because no way I can do 4x800m @ 5k pace (3:07-3:12) w/90sec jog rec today.

I started the first one and after 100m I was like, I am going to die indeed. No way I am going to finish this workout strong, this 5k pace is so hard! Such nice thoughts were going on in my head until I hit 400m mark and realized that I went through it in 84sec. Ops, only 10 sec faster than I was supposed to. (I was supposed to go through 400s in 94sec). Ok, you A$$whatever, slow down. You like slow, so go slow. Chill out. I slowed down (by 2sec for 400) and went through first 800 in exactly 3:00.
After that sub-tempo it was so hard to adjust to 5k speed. Because I thought that those 800 should be much faster but in reality they are only few sec per loop faster than sub-tempo, so I should not have gone out that fast.
Ok, second chance. Much better. Slow. I like slow. 3:07, right on track.
3rd one: 3:00. I am an idiot.
4th: Started ok. Went through 400 in 88ish sec, I am like ok, that's good. I am (probably) getting tired and will slow down the second loop. Hm, nope. 3:01.

Hm. It was actually a great workout. Not too hard (what a pleasant surprise) and I did not die. Maybe I am already peaking. But that's not possible, after 1 month of real running, is it? Or am I just that fast:))))
I still need to be more careful.

I took shower and rushed into my Goethe class while literally choking on an English muffin sandwich with brocolli cuts:)
People think I am little crazy.
I do not understand poetry in my native language, so there is no way I understand Goethe's poetry in German. So when the prof called on me (after I stopped chocking on that brocolli) to analyse a poem I was like: Hm.....Ich habe das gelesen aber ich habe keine Ahnung wovon er erzahlt. But since I am only auditing this class, no biggie.

Then other class, this time econ management class. So that's much better. Let me tell you, my professor is H-O-T. I have never really thought of these things before 1,either because I have never had a hot professor or, 2,I need a boyfriend. But this one... I think I will like the class.

By the way, I am not joining Masters Swim class. I met some other MBA running/tri people today and am going to do do few easy runs, bike rides and swim with their club. There is a former collegiate swimmer/water polo player who is going to help me with swimming form! And since I am here only for couple week, I do not even have to pay fees for joining. Sweet!

2 comments:

  1. how you feel before has nothing to do with how you will actually perform.
    barring extremes.
    like a 40 degree day in late September.
    Seriously, awesome work-out. Good job!
    and I barely increased your mileage, so quit whining :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to give it a try:) Apparently did not work.

    ReplyDelete