Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Easy-peasy TRACK workout

Today's weather was horrible. It was warm as if summer was back but the wind...on my bike ride from work I was struggling not to be blown off my bike while navigating around fallen road signs, flying newspaper and trash dumpsters blown to roads from people's driveways. But the track is nicely sheltered from the wind and it was only on small part of one curve where strong headwind hit me.

Other than wind issue, I LOVED today's (track) workout (yeah, track was open today):
20 minutes warm-up. 4 km worth of intervals at 5 km pace. I could decide how to break up the 4km BUT I had to decide ahead of time what the intervals will be and stick to the plan. The rest should be 1/2 of the time the interval took but no more than 2 minutes. 10 minute cool-down.

At first I wanted to do 5x800 but then realized that I have 800s next week and I really enjoyed 1k workouts couple months ago so I finally decided to do 4 x 1k @ 5k pace, which is somewhere around 3:55ish.

I must confess that I slacked a bit on warm-up. I did my 20 min and stretched but did only 3 drills and only 4 strides. I was afraid to be kicked out of the track because a guardian came and started to close some gates so I decided to start the workout asap. I know I need to stretch, do drills and strides to be warmed up properly.


Anyway, this is what I did:
3:53: 1st interval is always a struggle until I get into groom. I started fast but managed to slow down to get to required pace.
3:53: This was ok, not easy, not difficult
3:50: My legs usually wake up around this time (1.6-2k into the intervals) so here we go, faster than I was supposed to go
3:53: It was dark and I could not see the digits on the watch so could not check my 400m splits so I just went nice and easy and controlled.

I wish I could do workouts like this one every day because it makes me confident.

It felt easy but my logic is that it was supposed to feel easy because if that's my 5k pace I should be able to run at that pace for 5 continuous kilometers. And since today I ran only 4k and with almost 2 min rest between each, than it should feel easy. Because if it does not feel, that I should adjust my 5k pace. Correct me if my logic is wrong.

Weights for upper body afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment