Saturday, September 4, 2010

Higher powers tried to tell me something this morning but I did not listen to them

You know how I was supposed to do a track workout this week and tried on Tuesday (but track was closed), then on Thursday (track was closed) and I did not even bother on Friday and I was hoping for more luck today. But track was closed so I gave up and went to in on a boring never-ending gravel trail. It was windy and chilly (I was wearing a jacket on my bike ride there).

I warmed up for 2.5miles and when I was stretching...tornado sirens went off!!! SERIOUSLY?!? That was when I started to think that maybe some kind of higher power is trying desperately to prevent me from doing this workout.

(I have already run through tornado siren couple weeks ago (I was not sure what it was although I suspected it to be weather related when I saw a huge violet-orange cloud in a far distance).

But I kept stretching while thinking what to do. I was in a middle of nowhere on a trail surrounded by trees, 2.5 miles from my bike and bike was 4.6 miles from my apartment. While I was doing that a guy on a bike went by and screamed to keep moving (at least I think that's what he shouted at me).

OK, so I decided to run to my bike. But surprise, after couple minutes the sirens stopped! Awesome! And even sun came out. It was still windy, but thankfully from the side, not a head wind in any direction.
I even took off the jacket and t-shirt and left them in a bush.

You, higher power, are not going to get me!
I was pumped to get over with this workout! And I kicked butt I must say:)

Ladder Intervals. 20 minute warm-up. 1000 m, 800 m, 600 m, 400 m, 400 m, 600 m, 800 m, 1000 m. The 1000 m & 800 m should be at 10 km pace (4:08-4:15/km (6:36-6:48/mile)), the 600 m and 400 m slightly quicker than 5 km pace (4:00 per km(6:24)). Take 2.5 minutes rest after the 1 km, 2 minutes after the 800, 1:30 after the 600 m and 1:00 after the 400 m. 10 minute cool-down.

I used Garmin for those. I know that Garmins are not 100% accurate so my times are probably couple seconds plus or minus, plus it was on a gravel road. But I know I went faster than I was supposed to but I felt really good and honestly, I do not know how to pace myself outside a track.
1000 4:00 pace:4:00/6:24(slight downhill)
800 3:10 pace:3:57/6:20(slight uphill)
600 2:21 pace:3:55/6:16(slight downhill)
400 1:30 pace:3:45/6:00(slight uphill)
400 1:28 pace:3:40/5:52(slight uphill)
600 2:17 pace:3:48/6:05(slight downhill)
800 3:08 pace:3:55/6:16(slight uphill) I definitely started to feel that I was getting out of my comfort zone here. My legs and arms hurt and I had a weird feeling in stomach. But it is VERY important for me to get used to be out of comfort zone because I am weak mentally, very weak and I do not like suffering. And this helps my confidence and getting used to pain.
1000 3:50 pace:3:50/6:08(slight downhill) Still weird feeling in stomach but legs did not hurt, probably because it was downhill so I did not have to work that hard to keep the pace up.

I finished this by 10miles on bike: I had to get my clothes I left 2.5miles up the trail and back and ride home. I wanted to do weights afterwards but I felt tired.
Maybe later...

1 comment:

  1. Great job. I always use my Garmin for intervals and pacing, even when I run at the track!

    ReplyDelete