Monday, June 7, 2010

Don't you just love

public transportation in the US? I "do"!

I had to return my rental car to the airport yesterday which is 50miles from my apartment. Ad then I planned on taking a bus back. But is was Sunday, so no bus to my area. But fortunately I managed to find one hat goes to the place that is walking distance away from me. Walking distance = 11miles.

When I was leaving the apartment in the morning it was raining and walking 11 miles in rain, no no no. Running in a rain, manageable. I had 8 miles on my schedule so I figured I could combine it. I took my running shoes, shorts and backpack.

I got to the airport around noon and then had to wait for a bus at 1:30 that did not show up. Fortunately the one at 2:30 came:) It was an "enjoyable" 1,5h ride. Man, what kid of people ride those things! I mean, the fact that you cannot afford a car or any other reason why you take a bus does not mean that you should not learn how to behave around people!!! And I have seen the parts of a city that nobody would want to see. I got to Detroit and had one hour before my second bus so I walked a little.

I think that rain Gods love me! Second I got to the bus stop shelter it started to rain really hard. 10 seconds later and I would have been soaked! My second ride took 1h and the rain has not stopped. I had mentally prepared myself for the awful experience of running 11miles in pouring rain. But the second I got off the bus, it stopped raining. Like I said, rain Gods love me! I walked approximately 1 mile and then ran 8 miles and then finish last 2 miles walking. Although it took my almost 7 hours to do 50 miles from the airport to my apartment, it was cool, I saw the area at least.

This all happened on Sunday.

Today was my first day without a car and I rode a bike to work. It was awesome until I made a turn to the company parking lot. Then I got a flat tire. Yeah, that's my luck. I had everything necessary to fix it though except for a second wrench. But VC president's assistant made a few phone calls and we were able to find a wrench. And yeah, fixing a flat tire on a company's parking lot is always fun.
I am off for an easy 4 miler.

1 comment:

  1. We had similar experiences! I wrote about doing an unintentional marathon last weekend, due to car failure.

    When I was carless, I thought "okay, I'm just 1/2 mile from a bus stop." The buses run 6-8 AM and 4-7 PM, Monday to Friday on that line. That's not very convenient, except for people who just work and do nothing else.

    ReplyDelete