Thursday, June 3, 2010

Back to work

I did my first "workout" in weeks. Well, it was not a real workout but it was faster than my usual pace.
I was supposed to do 6miles with 3x800 at 5k pace. I thought that the track is 2miles from my apartment but it is more like 2.5miles. So I ended up doing 7miles. 2.5warm up, 3x800m (3:10, 3:09, 3:07) with 400m jog, 2.5miles cool down.
Those 800s were difficult. I mean it was easy pace but I just had very hard time making my legs moving! I am not sure what my 5k pace is, so I prescribed 6:15-20 pace, which means 3:07-10 for 800. I am now sure that 6:15 is not my 5k pace. It's way too fast for me now after my pathetic running past few weeks.

My shins....I do not know. It is much better than 4 weeks ago but not 100% yet. I need to tape them when I run:(

Work: I have forgotten how hard working in the USA is. I guess that I am spoiled by Europe and paid lunch breaks and 35hours week in France. Honestly, 8am-5pm, that's like a whole day at work!!!! I better get use to that!

1 comment:

  1. if those 800 m repeats felt quick then you are right, that is probably not your 5 km pace right now. Given the givens, I suggest starting out very conservatively at your race this week-end. Hold a conservative pace that feels too easy for the first 1.5 miles and then pick it up. When you estimate you have 2 minutes of running left to do, go for broke.

    Yes, North american business days are brutal. I have never looked at data but I suspect that North American businesses are no more productive than their "lazy" European counterparts. I think Europeans work hard when they are working and then go home whereas North Americans tends to mix work and play (surfing the web at work etc.) which leads to an extended not super productive day. Partly it is a cultural thing - North Americans equate working hard with being in the office for 9, 10, 11, 12 etc. hours. I recently read about all the perks that google has for its employees. Things like free massages, a gym, whirlpool, juice bar, pool table, foos ball table, free cafeteria etc. etc. essentially all things designed to make you NEVER want to leave work. I would much rather pass on the juice bar and massage, get out of the office at a reasonable time and live my life!!

    ReplyDelete