Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Back to Running

I got in my first run on the American soil after 2 years. Exciting, isn't it? At least for me it was.

I ran like 8miles (plus or minus, it was 65min, because I cannot find my Garmin. My apartment is a mess. I did not have time to unpack, so I just opened my bag and took business casual:) cloths for work this morning and everything got completely messed up and I just could not find Garmin in that mess...).
It felt great to be finally running and this area is really nice. So many cool houses and lot of trees. I am definitely taking my camera with me sometime to take pictures. Really, I have never seen so many cool houses like these before. This area is pretty flat with some rolling hills, but have no idea where I could do hill workout here.
The most exciting part: I have found a high school track I can use for speed workouts! At east I think so. I asked one lady who I passed running whether there is a running track where everybody can go and she told me where to go. There was a fence and sign that fields can be used only with a card that cost $% but the gate was open and "ticket" office was closed and there were some kids out there. So I suppose I can use it whenever I need to. This made my day. Seriously.

And now onto general blah blah.
I left the US in May 2008 after spending there 3 years. I have been here for 1,5day now and there are already couple things that have surprised me:)
1. Bank of America has some cool stuff you can do with their ATM machines (like money deposits and stuff). This is completely new to me:)
2. I have completely forgotten that every city, even a tiny one has several malls: huge outlet malls, tiny outlet malls, Walmart, Target, several shopping mall squares. I guess that explains the negative net saving rates in the USA.
3. Humidity! I though that only Florida and New England were very humid but apparently not. I was sweaty within couple minutes on my run today. And it was past 8pm! Disgusting. It is everywhere like this?
4. People are so nice. I am not saying that people in Slovakia are not nice, but...When I arrived yesterday there was a huge basket full of food from Trader Joe's and a welcome note from my boss. How cool is that?

And I have forgotten: I have officially graduated from college this past Sunday! I though that my graduation year was 2009 until I have started receiving emails about the graduation ceremony (which I have not attended. I am weird, I know...) and then it hit me. Because I did an exchange program my senior year and the semester there ran longer than semester in the US, my grades got in after 2009 graduation. I knew I will receive my diploma in 2010, but I have always though that I will receive it like in retrospective, with graduation date of 2009. But no. I am Class '10 and I have a BA degree officially now. Well, I do not have my diploma, but they are going to ail it.

No comments:

Post a Comment