Thursday, May 27, 2010

Crazy European girl is coming

No run today. It has been a completely crazy day, it is past 10pm and I am still not packed. Grrr.
I need to get up very early tomorrow to get those 5miles.

Please let it be Sunday already. But before that I have 20+hours bus drive to Slovakia, then few hours at home and then flight to Detroit.
I take a bus at 3pm from Paris to Slovakia. I will change 2 times!!! and arrive in Slovakia around 1pm Saturday. Then I need to go to my grandparents house to get some stuff. Which means I will get to my parents house at around 7pm. Then I need to pack (what should I bring?!?what should I bring?!?) and I need to leave the house at around 6am to get to Vienna to catch a plane to Detroit at 10am. In Detroit I need to rent a car and drive 50+ miles to my apartment. Man, I will be death Sunday evening. But thankfully it is Memorial day on Monday, so I can sleep the whole day:)

Now the funny part. In the company I will be working for they think I am crazy. Let me explain. There is a huge difference between American and European attitude to walking/biking/driving. Last summer, my internship in Slovakia was in a company that was around 17miles from my house. I used a bike to get there every day (awesome workout, 30+ miles done every day). Nobody thought I was crazy (well, they did, but it was not that profound). This summer my internship will be 5miles from my apartment. And there is a shower in the building. Sooo....of course I am not renting a car for $840/month to drive 5miles to get to work! I am going to get there on bike. This thought somehow slipped out and now the HR person knows what I want to do (and she told the attorney and VP assistant...). And I could sense from her tone that she thinks that I am completely crazy person. But you know what, get used to that. I am not American (although I LOVE peanut butter with banana) and I am not going to drive 100m to a grocery store to get one quart of milk! I am from Slovakia and I CAN bike or walk 5miles to work.


Ok, I will rent a car for first week because I need to be able to get around quickly. But it is a bike afterwards.
I will let you know how it goes.

My next post with be from the American soil. If I do not post, it means that I do not have internet access, or that I am lost somewhere in Detroit metropolitan area looking for my apartment. Please alert my parents (although they will not be of much use.)

1 comment: