Sunday, May 2, 2010

3rd place Coupe de France Volleyball aka French Business Schools Volleyball Championship

Who would have though that I will even win the third place in French Business Schools (or in fact any) volleyball championship?
As I mentioned before our team is not very good but we somehow manage to mobilize ourselves and win the most important matches and this helped us to get through Ile de France pool, then northeastern region pool, all the way to the final tournament of top 6 teams.
This tournament was taken more seriously than our other tournaments/matches but I still found it not enough serious but for most of our team members this was the highlight of their matches preparation- aka nobody got drunk the night before the match.
We arrived to Nantes on Friday afternoon, went out for dinner (MacDonald's, grrrr. I did not eat that thought) and went to bed at midnight... Midnight is way too late in my opinion but compared to usual 3:30ish am it was too early.
Saturday: Morning: 2 pools with 3 teams each were decided and preliminary matches played. We proceeded to semifinals from the second position in our pool. I played my usual position of middle hitter for couple points.
In the afternoon the semifinals were played and although we tried, we did not managed to win. They were definitely better but we did not played very well though.
In the evening, I managed to get in 15k run. Yeah, I am crazy.
Funny story happened: When I came back to the hotel from my run, I was in elevator with two players from different school playing against us and they told me they saw me running and we talked about it a little. Then during the dinner my coach told me that he knew I was running because he was approached and questioned by a coach from the school the two girls were from and that coach thought that our coach made our team to run as a training (or punishment that we did not win semifinals:)). Of course my coach knew immediately that it was me running after the whole day of volleyball games (I am the only person as crazy as that) and he explained "my insanity" (as he put it) to that coach. Hm. But it was cool run and I got to see the city. Although I must have looked strange running with a map and stoping at every corner checking my pposition:)
We went to bad again at midnight, nobody drunk but people had beer and wine.
Sunday: 3rd place match for us. Our right side hitter started to have problems with a knee that she had a surgery on, so I played her position. Horrible. I had no idea where to go, what to do. Our coaches and players had to constantly tell me where to go and what to do because I was lost. After 1 set I got hang of it and it was better. I played a pretty decent match. We won 3:1! Awesomeness!!!!!!
We got a nice cup that will end up in a dining room of an apartment of some of our players:)
Then train ride back to Paris and back on campus, I did my nice easy 15k run:)

This is the first and probably the LAST time I win anything for a volleyball:) Weird thing is that I am not as excited as other players. Probably because they do not have any experience with "real" sport tournaments and competitions (well, I am not a professional, but still, I have some experience) and when they win something they are very happy. But for me, I know that the level of our play is not very good (apart from teams that got 1st and 2nd, they are really good also on overall French national level) so I do not think that it is a huge deal. Sorry my dear team, but it is true.

And one more thing makes me really but really mad. Now everybody from Sports Office is going to talk about how we got 3rd in business schools volleyball, but when I qualified for French cross country collegiate championship(you got the idea how the level in France is, since I qualified for XC...) not only stupid business schools championship but overall universities one, they told me I can not go there because there was some stupid XC race among our school and 2 huge rivals the same day. F***ing idiots! Now when I have a shot to place among top 5 in 10k and 3k in collegiate championship (not only stupid business schools) and nobody cares because all they care about are collective sports. Hate everything and everybody.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! And your "craziness" is nothing to be ashamed of! Especially since it sounds like such a nice run in Nantes. Arent't runs the best ways to explore a city?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SLG! Runs are definitely the best way to explore cities.

    ReplyDelete