Sunday, January 2, 2011

Week at home- 24/7 with parents, 5k race and pathetic fail

There were some downs and ups these past 9 days.

Can you imagine spending 24/7 with your parents after being used to spend 80% of your time alone and doing whatever you want with no constraints and no compromises? :) I should probably go to spend few days with my grandparents now, it is not the same as being alone but they do not ask me zillion questions every day.

So I arrived on 24th night, ate Xmas dinner and went to bed. Got up at 3am:(
On 25th I did a short 4mile run with strides to shake out and I started to think that 5k was not such a great idea- it was cold, slippery and I was tired (9 hours time difference is a lot. 6 hours is easy to adapt to. I only sleep one night and I am adjusted the next day but to adjust to 9 hours is harder.). That 5k race sounded much better idea one month ago in sunny California:)

I woke up at 3am again on 26th but I had to get up at 6:30am anyway so I did not have to lay in bed and do nothing for too long. But 5k seemed more and more a stupid idea as we were driving because it started to snow and it was cold. I was dreaming about running in shorts and t-shirt only 4 days before:)
But I had a blast anyway! I was wearing only a regular watch with HRM (to get data but it did not work out very well, I should re-read the manual) and I did not care about the pace or time or anything because there was snow on roads (and kept falling from the sky) and it was slippery and impossible to run fast. I only wanted to have fun.
I ran comfortably the whole time and I felt very good. Even if I had wanted to (ok, I did not want to) push little bit more I could have not because we were slipping into all directions. (This is the weirdest grammar construction and my English teacher would not be too thrilled about it:()
There was one girl who was getting on my nerves because she was running less than 50cm behind me and there was one guy (her coach?) running behind her and screaming "hold on to her (me)" the whole time. It was driving me crazy. But she eventually fade away after about 3k and I could "breath".
I was the first female, 19:47ish and won 15Euro.
I am starting to like 5k. It is not very long but long enough so I don't have to "sprint". I like it!
I went to the race with my old coach and some of his new athletes and it was fun. I miss running with people and being part of a team.

Then my parents picked me up and we went to their weekend house by the lake.





Few hours later:





There I failed miserably, once again. I ran ONCE in past 7 days. 5miles on Monday.
I had to go downhill skiing on Tuesday, then hiking on Wednesday, hiking again on Thursday, x-country skiing on Friday and Saturday and ice skating on Sunday.
My father wanted me to do all these things with him and it was too late to go running by the time we got home:( Once again I did not manage to tell him I am not going anywhere because I need to go running.
It is true that I could run on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but I did not because of pure laziness and frustration from not running days before.
I did 16k on skies on Friday and 13k on Saturday. Not too shabby but it was freestyle, not classic style. I wanted to do classic style but I skied on a lake and I had some small technical difficulties (bad waxing and not enough snow to use poles) so had to go freestyle.
I should re-group. We are back to civilization and my parents are going back to work tomorrow so I can do whatever I want to:) And I am going to my grandparents in few days so I will get back on track. That's my plan! (Now I only need to find a place where I can run tomorrow)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely vacation, very active, even though you did not run much! The pictures are beautiful. You are one fast woman - you take it easy and run a sub 20 5K! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just showed my husband your photos and he was like OMG THAT IS AN ICE FOREST! Ha! We are so wimpy here in Hawaii when it comes to things like snow.
    Glad you're back in civilization. Enjoy your indoor training this month!

    ReplyDelete