Sunday, February 7, 2010

"Some people don't have the guts for distance racing. The polite term for them is sprinters."

I was tired this morning but I did not have to force myself to go out and run, I was glad to go for a run. My plan was 28k on flat surface. I knew that this was not possible because no matter where I go, there are hills everywhere...
I went really really slowly, like 5:45 pace but it was fastest I could do after yesterday.
First 15k was ok, but then my moral dropped (I was starting to be tired, cold, thinking about my broken 5+ year-long relationship, hungry, tired, thirsty, tired) and I was considering heading back to my room. But I forced myself to do at least 25k.
Therefore I headed further from campus because I knew that even if I decide to head back, I will still have to do run longer to get back.
At 23k my moral was back to normal, and I even got a glimpse of a sun...
At approximately 25k I met this older man who asked me for directions. Well, good choice...But I did my best. Apparently, he went for 2-hour long run but got lost. And since the weather was not that great he has not met any runners or bikers, so now was at 3:30. And still had at least 12k to go...(if my directions and calculations were right.) He really looked miserable. He told me he was cold, hungry and his knee was hurting like hell. I would give him some food or a ride but I did not have any. I hope he had found his way back.

I ended up doing 27k. Not bad.

1 comment: