Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Biking outside

For the first time in a very very long time I felt training-related tired yesterday. I went to bed around 9pm and woke up after 8am.

It was cold but sunny yesterday so I put on my skiing gear and went to do my ride outside. Phew. I was supposed to do around 90min but ended up litle over 2h. It took me 50min to go out but 1h15min to get back. Oh, the headwind! I have not realized the tailwind on my way out. Of course.
I did 3x 20min faster segments and I did two of them on my way back but I was still 50% slower! Unbelievable.

This was the second time I was outside since I bought powermeter. I have no idea how to train with power outside. It is super easy on the trainer, you go steady and you can keep watts where you want. But outside, there are uphills, downhills, tailwind, headwind. How the hell am I supposed to keep certain watt range? I have no idea.

I was pushing 190-200+ watts into the wind and not moving. Sure, I was not supposed to be pushing 200 watts and have heart rate 165 because it was my cool-down, but if I went any easier I would not be moving at all and it would take me 3 hours to get back home and I would freeze to death.

What I have learnt is that I can keep my cadence higher comfortably on a road, 90-100 is no problem, whereas 90 on a trainer is quite difficult. Also it seems that my watts are higher. I cannot say for sure yet because I have not done an easy ride with power/HR. But I will try soon.

Then I went ice-skating for an hour on a lake nearby. Skating is great, I like it but falling hurts. I did not fell yesterday but I have fallen countless times in my lifetime. I do not understand how figure skaters do it. They must be covered with bruises. Maybe there is a way to fall properly so it does not hurt that much.

Seems that that bike ride left me totally trashed because I went running in the evening and I was tired. I did 50min and was trashed. I do not remember the last time I felt tired like this while running. And it was an easy run. Like 8:48 min pace. Or with my current running fitness even 8:48 is fast. Probably. Blah.

I will just keep going until I can and we it should get better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment