Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ladder intervals

1200 m, 1000 m, 800 m, 800 m, 1000 m, 1200 m. @5k pace, 1200m @ 5k pace + 5 seconds per km. 2min rec.

I was asked to do specifically this workout. I usually can choose from a bunch of workouts but not today. I wonder whether it has something to do with the fact that I did not choose this workout in past training cycle:) I swear, I had it planned but then I decided to try 3x5x300m workout instead.

It was again one of the hard workouts. I better used to that. Although it will probably help me to progress faster, it is not good for my confidence.
Before(with underestimated 5k pace) I was always able to hit paces and even run faster, now I am struggling to hit paces.
It was super windy today. One part of the fence got knocked down and the portable seats/tribunes for players and coaches got turned over as well.

I did 4:36, 3:44, 2:57, 2:58, 3:36, 4:35.
Because there is no sub-tempo to tire the legs before, it was not super super hard but still I worked pretty hard. And I had to run to the bathroom after second 800 and consequently took around 3min break...
1200s were the easiest. The first one was like jogging, whereas the last one I stopped concentrating hard on and freaking abut not hitting the pace and it somehow worked. I felt controlled and not too bad.

I used the heart monitor to see what it gives. For example the highest heart rate I got during the intervals were 196, 198, 195, 193, 198, 191. I am sure how to interpret it, I need to read a book before. This was just a test.

I also wore the compression socks and I this the calves are better not although still sore. I also foam rolled them, so that might have helped as well.

I also read an article couple weeks ago that faster runs are better on ITB than slow runs. It is definitely true. I never feel the ITB during the intervals. It is always during an easy recovery run when I sometimes feel tingling. So I should do only fast running from now on:)

Ok, I am off to Hawaii in 40minutes! I hope it will be fun. Will be back on Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Monyka, this is a comment on the athletes-running-the-marathon post.

    Like you, I only really knew Amelie Mauresmo off that list (Justin Gimelstob a little, too, although I think it's been a while since he retired). When looking at the list, my thought was "holy shit, she can run that fast?"

    A marathon is hard for people who haven't trained specifically for it. Really hard!

    Think of Lance Armstrong. A former professional triathlete (a long time ago) and one of the highest VO2Max recordings ever. His first marathon? Just a hair under 3 hours...

    A three hour marathon for a guy is probably like a 3:15 to 3:20 for a woman, so not far from a 3:30.

    Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment.
    3:30 for a woman is not fast. That's what I think.
    I never thought that marathon would be that hard for any professional athlete even without specific marathon training, but after seeing those times it looks that it is indeed hard...
    Concerning Lance Armstrong, of course I would expect him to run faster but I always thought that it was his cyclist-legs/huge quads that are not "appropriate" to run a marathon. Btw, I did not know that Lance was a professional triathlete before!

    ReplyDelete