Monday, December 26, 2011

Boredom, coaches, running, flat tires

It sees that all those people who said I would not last a week when I said I was going to do nothing for few months were right.
It has been 4 days since I started my "doing nothing" period and I am already bored and crawling out of my skin. Although I am sure that it would be better if I had TV:)
Sure, I still have not finished two of my school applications and I need to rewrite my thesis and start packing and cleaning this place so teoretically I have stuff to do. But it is different.

This week will be my first ever training week of 20 hours! Cool, isn't it? I will let you know how (whether) I survive it! I am going to be a good little triathlete and stop eating Assorted Truffles for breakfast.
Although next weekend will be little difficult to do because I am going to more to my friend'shouse to stay with her for a few days between Saturday when I have to leave the apartment and Thursday when I fly to Europe. And her house is around 9miles from my pool so I might not be able to get my Sunday swim in:( Maybe I should decline the New Year's Eve party invitation as well so I feel alive for that 3h ride on Sun after 4h ride on Sat...
Well, technically I do not have to go live with her because I did something stupid but my electicity, internet and water are already scheduled to be disconnected at the end of the month. I did not give a 30-day notice and now I have to pay for the apartment for 20 days in January:( I have tried to negotiate with the apartment management but I was not successful. I am so mad at myself for that. Stupid, stupid, stupid me!

I have only a swim planned for today and because I was bored and weather was gorgeous I decided to try to run. So I walked for 90minutes to the track, ran for 2minutes and walked 90min back:) I do not understand people who drive 30min to get to the gym to walk on a treadmill. That makes zero sense. But my 90-2-90 min makes complete sense to me, of course.
I ran 100m, walked 100m, ran 100, walked 100 and repeated that for two laps around the track. It was not really because I thought that it was going to improve my running fitness. It was more because I don't want all my running neuromuscular connections to die. I did those 100s as strides (so kind of faster) because slow running irrittes the ITB (and I know why. When you run slower, your movements are slower and take longer time and thus ITB has to work longer to stabilize my knee thus it puts more strain on it with every step) and man, was I uncoordinated. Yeah, those neuromuscular connections are dying. So maybe I will do this more often. I am not going to try to really run for few more weeks (probably one more month) but these short strides will maybe help at least a little bit.

I also did my regular PT exercises and I can feel the difference. I am better at balancing/stabilizing myself with the hips. So that's good. Continue like this and hopefully I will be fine.

I am still trying to find myself a coach so last week I sent an email to one coach in Slovakia. You know, one of those guys who eat rice with pineapple for fuel and sleep in tents before their IM races and still go sub-9h. Ok, this one is actually a short-course coach and triathlete, although his IM PR is 8:31. Unfortunately, he charges 50 euros/month, which is around 60 Euros more than I can afford. Maybe I should have contacted someone other than Slovak duathlon, and sprint and Oly tri champion but when you want to be the best you have to work with the best!!!
He wants to meet with me so I might do that because he is kind of cute and single. (Just kidding. Well, he is cute and single but that's not a reason why I might meet with him. I cannot work with him but getting more info will not kill me.)

I think that I will rather work on my own until I can get a good coach than spend money on some mediocre coach with whom I won't see adequate results for the money.

Any idea why I am getting flats on trainer? I had no problem until about 3 weeks ago and since then I got a second flat. It is not a pucture, it is like a scratch on a tube.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for knowing that just like most systems in the body, the central nervous system (CNS) must also be trained and kept in shape. Running speed is a product of turnover and stride length and fast turnover especially demands a "fit" CNS (fit isn't quite the word I am looking for)... a well tuned CNS perhaps? but don't worry about it too much for now. CNS sharpness comes back more quickly than aerobic capacity. It won't take you long to get your CNS firing again once you are able to run regularly again.

    ReplyDelete