Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tempo runs, blah

Today was the hottest day this year so far and I loved it.

I do not know why, but my quadriceps were kind of sore today. It might have something to do with running with my backpack yesterday.
I have not realized it until I started doing a warm up run. Our coach wanted us to do 6x250m all out (oh, I hate it!) but I was sure it was not a good idea because of my muscle tightness. I persuaded him to let me do tempo run. My first tempo run in more that 2 years. Man, I hate tempo runs (because I suck at them) but they are supposed to be good for your training, so why the hell not trying one. I was not really sure how far or fast I should go but somewhere in the back of my memory storage thing I remembered something about Coogan loop and how we did one loop twice and then rest and repeat. It was something like 3 miles repeats. I do not remember exactly because those are not nice memories and I try to erase them:) I hated the run and was not able to finish it. I managed it once (maybe twice) though.
Therefore I decided to do 2x 3 miles (5k in European language) at 6:40-45ist pace with 10min rest. 6:40ist pace because that was my pace for 10k three weeks ago, so I though it is reasonable.
First 5k was ok, not too hard, nicely controlled, I did it in 20:59, which is 4:13/6:43ish pace. But honestly, I was not sure whether I can do next 5k at that pace.
I started the second one and told myself "let's see how it goes. You can drop out, nobody knows what you are shooting for and you can lie and say I wanted to do 1k if they ask you". And surprisingly it went better that the first one, 4:12 pace, 20:55. Really, with less effort. The only negative thing (except for my splits:)) was that I was getting really hot. I did not want to run in my sports bra because it is just something people do not do here and they are not used to that and our rugby players had practice at the same time and some high school track team boys were there too. But it was unbearable so I got rid of my t-shirt and you boys better get used to it because I am not going to suffer just to not make you feel uncomfortable. Although I do not think that they mind it that much:)
So tempo run did not go that badly, I might try to repeat it once in a while.

I did core and legs exercises afterwards (abs, back rises, squads, calf rises etc).

When I finally got to my room after 3 hours, I got a call from our volleyball captain asking whether I want to join him and couple other players in 10min for beach volleyball. Yeah, why not, I am not dead yet (close though), so I should finish myself, right? 2 hours of beach volley was a lot of fun, although I am sure my calves and quads will love me for that tomorrow.

Now it is time to finally start working on my strategy case report. Yeah, the one that I wanted to start and finish yesterday...

1 comment:

  1. for someone who hates tempo runs and who "sucks at them", you sure ran a great work-out! funny how every runner has their own nemesis when it comes to work-outs... mine is the 5 X 1 km at 5 km pace work-out!

    ReplyDelete