Thursday, April 15, 2010

3k track race

Let's start by saying that I am impressed by myself. I am not impressed by my time but myself, remember that please.

Today was the JOURNEE PREPARATOIRE AU CHAMPIONNAT UNIVERSITAIRE D’ILE DE FRANCE race in Anthony. This race was basically the race where athletes could test themselves before actual IDF championship that is May 6.
I did not know until last minute whether I will do 3k or 1500.
It has turned out that they do have 3k race so I signed up.

I have felt really tired the whole day because I went to sleep at 1am the night before and had to get up at 7am.
Let me think about other excuses for couple minutes now:)

I was the only girl signed up for 3k. Bummer. So they let me run with guys who did 5k. At least I was not alone...for first 200m, then almost all of them were way ahead of me.
I felt ok. My plan was to try to run 11min, but I did not feel very confident that I can do it. I decided to start at 88s per lap pace and see whether I can keep the pace or whether I die after 2k.
I started too fast first 200m at 38s but then immediately slowed down. I managed to keep 88-91s pace for the whole 3k but my arms were hurting and my calves were/are killing me!
Last lap I was catching up onto the last 5k guy and I wanted to pass him so I "sprinted" the last lap in 82. I got him 150m to go.
My final time: 11:00.88.
As I said, 11min is not that fast generally speaking, but I think it is pretty good for me. My high school PR was something around 10:38 (or was it 10:28, or 10:42, well, I do not remember). But one sure thing is that I have not run this fast in couple years. I ran faster than under coach L "leadership". That proofs something I guess (1, either that I was a major slacker or that 2, coach L was no good. I go with the second choice. She never listened to me and it took me 2,5years to persuade her that I was not a distance runner. And she had "one training suits everyone" attitude).

I am freaking excited about this because I really was not sure whether I can run 11min. But I CAN!
I am little disappointed that it was not under 11 but I cannot have everything. I feel that I could have run it under 11, maybe not much faster but at least couple seconds.

On non-running note:

Change of plans: Detroit company boss will call me on Monday. 4 more days of nervousness.

I am leaving tomorrow for Slovakia to visit my parents for a week. I am not too excited about that, I would prefer staying here, but they are excited. They are even taking couple days off work to be with me. I wanted to take 2 suitcases and was already ok with the fact that I have to drag them 2k to train station and then change 3 times before getting to bus station. (Did I mention I am taking a bus from Paris to Slovakia and it is a 19h-long drive? ) But no trains will operate between my school and Paris after 9am tomorrow because of "travaux". They provide buses but I am not going to count on them because they are even worse than Greyhound buses between Boston and NYC. So, I need to go to Paris at 9am and if I manage to get to Paris then I have wait for more than 4 hours at a bus station. No way I am taking 2 suitcases in these circumstances!
But what am I going to do with all my crap? Why do I move so often? Why cannot I just stay at one place for at least 5 years?

My parents are not too enthusiastic and supportive about my running (my mom mostly), I have not even told them that I ran a marathon and they do not know that I train every day. So I am not sure whether I will be able to get in some runs next week, but I will try. Also, I will be without internet connection for couple days, so I will not update my running blog:(

2 comments:

  1. excellent! you met your goal... just wait until the race in May when you will presumably be running with other women - you'll rock! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete