Sunday, October 1, 2017

Mt Vernon Fall Fest 5k RR

I found out that there was a 5k race in town I live in a few days ago (why dont they advertise these things more?!? And then they are surprised when only 35 runners show up! It was well organised, nice weather, they also had 1/2 mile kids race) so I decided to do it to get a benchmark for my runs.

I have been doing my intervals at 8' pace and the results from those two triathlons I did showed that I ran 8:20ish pace (which I did not really believed because my intervals didnt feel I could run 8:20 pace) so I was hoping to be able to hold 8' pace.

I did taper little bit for the race (run intervals on Mon, easy 4 miler with Bob on Thursday and 1h bike on Wed and 30' bike on Friday, plus my daily HIIT class) to make sure I can get a good benchmark.

I left Nathan and Alex at home, which was both nice and sad because I like having them at races (ok, they have been to only 2 races so far but it was still nice). Race started at 8 and Alex got up at 5ish to eat so perfect timing on her part! I pumped, ate a mandarin, drank a cup of tea, and arrived at race site at 7:15.
I felt little stupid warming up because well, I did not see anyone else warming up but I knew I needed to warm up at least a litle bit. I ran 10min and then did one 40sec stride and some dynamic stretching. I am glad I warmed up because I didnt feel that great warming up but felt little better after.

So normally I can win any race in the area. Southern Illinois is not known gor its running scene....But now that I can barely run 8' miles for a 5k I was not sure whether I can win. Because 8' pace not that fast and I thought that there might be a lady or two that can run 8 minute miles.
One interesting fact... it seems there were more women (20) at this race than men (15). Cool, huh?

Gun went off and I settled into a pace that felt comfortably hard. The course was rolling, ups and downs alternating every quarter mile or so. First mile was little more uphill and I went 8:03, sweet, right on target. Second mile 7:53 and feeling good. Third mile was slight downhill and I went 7:23, for an average pace of 7:53.
My total time was 23:31, which would put me at 7:30ish pace but I am not sure that it was correct since my Garmin showed the course at 2.97 miles and I believe that the course was short because I dont think I can run 7:30 pace yet, thereforeI am using my Garmin paces.
Total time does not matter really, I was interested in getting a benchmark for my interval paces and now I know that I can start doing the intervals little faster than I have been.
And I won female race (6th overall) and I won $50, which put me at $20 net profit:)

I am pleased with my progress and I am excited about it. Now I need to continue loosing the weight. It is not coming off as fast as I was hoping it would with breastfeeding. I only lost 10 pounds in 2 months. Which is a good healthy sustainable weight loss, but slower than I would like. I finally started to see 18x numbers on a scale two weeks ago but I kind of let my guard down after the wedding so I doubt I lost anything the last week. I still have 40 pounds to go! I have a new appreciation for heavy people and big chested ladies! Lugging 190 pounds and two watermelons around is hard! Especially when you are running.

No comments:

Post a Comment