Sunday, September 26, 2010

I said I might not enjoy biking in LA area. Scratch that!

I went to the book store on Saturday and picked up a book with road biking paths in LA county. There were so many wonderful ideas! I did not buy the book, since I will be here for only about 10 weeks so I can find 10 routes (one for each Sunday) online but I needed an inspiration for today.

I chose a route to Pablo Verdas, south from LA. I drew myself a nice map last night and hit the road this morning at 8am. I was little worried about the traffic but was nicely surprised. There were bike paths and wide shoulders everywhere and tons of bikers. And the route was so cool. First 30miles were right by the ocean with awesome views and then the road took me more inside away from the ocean but since it was up a huge hills when I got on the top the view was gorgeous. I have never biked along the ocean coast so this was breathtaking (both the views and huge uphills).
I did a loop and it was exactly 70miles. I would say 2/3 were pretty flat and 1/3 was hills. Those hills were actually a nice treat after all the flatness in Michigan:)

I was pretty tired by the time I got home. Heat and hills just killed me. But I knew that ice bath would do me good so I ate and then dragged myself for a swim in the ocean:) Ocean is approximately 3 miles from my place so no that far. At first I wanted to walk because I love walking but it would take me around 1 hour there and 1 back and legs needed a rest. So I had to use torture machine again to get there, it takes like 15min max depending on traffic. And there is a bike path almost all the way from my place to the beach so it is not that bad. Water was awesome. Cold at first but once I got used to it it was awesome.

Got home, played on computer and then dragged (again) myself for an easy 6 miler. It felt actually pretty good but I miscalculated and 30min into my run it was completely dark. So I went really slowly because I expected to break my ankle or head-hit a traffic sign any minute. But no accidents happened.

Now I am finally home. Need to shower and read something for school for tomorrow...blah.
But I am tired. Maybe I should go to sleep and get up earlier tomorrow and read it then.

1 comment: